Wednesday, June 22, 2011

North Central Nebraska Photographer: World Travels- Part Deux {France}

Part 2 - France

I missed a few days of writing because of our crazy schedule.  We traveled to Paris, where we were able to visit the Versailles, The Louvre, The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Sacré-Cœur Basilica.  They were all so amazing, and though I really enjoyed them, I have to say that Paris was not for me.  People here seem to have no pride in their community.  The filth of the city made me so very sad.  I think many of us were quite shocked at the contradiction of the most romantic city in the world being so filthy.  But, the places we were able to experience by far overshadowed that factor.



Versailles was an important place for me, as I remember hearing of it from my Granddad.  As I walked (or was pushed) through the palatial home, I was mesmerized, and yet saddened by the stories of what royal women had to endure.  What a lonely world for a little girl.  Knowing that if you didn't produce and heir to the throne that you could be cast aside.  And if you were a little girl, knowing how you shamed your kingdom.  The beauty of the gardens could provide some solace, and I could imagine myself getting lost for hours in it.  As I walked through, I was angered when our tour guide told us of how the materials were being ruined by tourists who carved grafitti in the hall of mirrors, and who ignored the camera flash ban, leading to the complete destruction of royal fabrics.  Even as we passed through the halls, I could see this complete ignorance all around me, and it made me very sad.





The Sacré-Cœur Basilica was my second favorite.  There was an actual service going  on when we arrived, and it was so neat to see how faith was observed within the walls of this amazing structure.  We were privileged to listen to the beautiful voice of a young girl singing during the service...simple gorgeous. 






Then of course, there was the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame.  Though we didn't get to see it in ALL its glory, it was still pretty awesome to be in the presence of such iconic structures.








I had to get a few pictures of my awesome Teen Rep., Trey, as we got to experience Europe together on the same trip.  Pretty cool.  :D

Last, we left France via a darling little town in Burgundy.  Getting to walk around, sample Vino, explore quaint little shops, try AMAZING mango sorbet, and FEEL the real culture of France was awesome.  As Betthina said, "Paris is not France.  THIS is France.". 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Katrina Lee Photography is a professional custom photography business specializing in natural light and location portraiture as well as fine art portraiture.