Friday, August 6, 2010

Atkinson, Nebraska Lifestyle and Art Photographer: Illustrating Identity: "This Is Me" Photo Shoot- Session 1 {Trey}

I have been planning this special project for quite some time now. This photo shoot series stems from my desire to merge my passion for teaching teens with my love for photographing them.  I think illustrating teens with passion and a positive attitude through a photo shoot is a great way to start the school year, so I broadcasted a "call for models" for some help from local teens.

Session one of this series belongs to Trey.



Trey, a soon-to-be Sophomore, responded 1st to the model call.  After chatting with his mom, we made plans to meet up at the local high school to chat and begin our shoot.  I asked him to bring along some quotes or passages that are really meaningful to him, and to bring anything that really illustrates his identity and his personality.  So, I showed up, and in walking with our gear over to the track, Trey asked me, "so, where did you get this idea?"  After thinking for a second (I was not prepared for such a question actually), I responded by telling him my thought process.  1)  I really enjoy working with teens and want to get to know them better. 2)  I feel really strongly about teens having positive role models, and want to show that we have local teens who ARE role models through their character, actions, and beliefs.  3)  I love photojournalism, and this idea stemmed from a want to combine a  photo shoot with a purposeful story behind the images.  4)  I thought it would be fun to make some inspirational posters for my classroom featuring local teens, rather than buying generic ones.  I hope I am able to pull that off!

So, we sat down on the bleacher steps, and I pulled out my little notebook so I could ask Trey some questions in order to get to know him better.



I didn't realize I would be met with such thoughtful responses.

Question 1:  How would your friends describe you in 5 words or less?
Answer:  outgoing, funny, positive, compassionate


Question 2:  What are some things you just can't live without?
Answer:  My friends and family, and my Bible.

Question 3:  What keeps you grounded?
Answer:  Knowing I have to power to make a person smile.

Question 4:  What is your life philosophy in 1 sentence?
Answer:  Take life as it comes; sometimes things are bigger than you, and you just gotta plough through.



Question 5:  What do you think you want to do after high school?
Answer:  I really love history and sports.  I think I want to be a history and PE teacher.  I don't know if I will come back to Atkinson or not, I like to explore, but I would if I knew it was important to my family.

Question 6:  Do you have some favorite quotes that relate to what we are doing for this shoot?
Answers:
"The 1st period is won by the best technician.  The 2nd period is won by the kid in the best shape.  The 3rd period is won by the kid with the biggest heart." ~ Dan Gable
"Obstacles are things a person sees when they take their eyes off the goal" ~E. Joseph Cossman
" For nothing is impossible with God".  Luke 1:37

After our little ice-breaker, we got to the fun part.  Trey filled me in on the latest in sports and the Husker's Conference transition.


We talked wrestling, and agreed to disagree that track was an awesome activity (I still love it).


He informed me that the West Holt track was the best in the state too (learn something new every day!).




 We had a great time, and in finishing our shoot with an image of him gazing over the field, he said
"This is getting me excited for football".  


What an awesome kid.  Thanks for letting me get to know you just a bit through this shoot Trey!
Have a great school year!

14 comments:

  1. Katie...this is SO awesome!! What a wonderful way to motivate your students...and learn more about teens in your community! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of interviewing your teens is fabulous!! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this all... the photos, the questions, the responses! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is so inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! What a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful idea and a great person to start off with! How inspiring he is and you too;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many GOOD KIDS in our community and many people never get to know who they are or what they do believe. I think what you are doing is a great way to get to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I hope you'll stop back by to see the others that are soon to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so inspiring!! And such beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it! cant wait to see my pics!!

    ReplyDelete

Katrina Lee Photography is a professional custom photography business specializing in natural light and location portraiture as well as fine art portraiture.